How to Target Runners & Joggers on Facebook
How do you distinguish casual runners from those getting ready for the annual marathon? The ones putting the effort finding the best running equipment for better performance from the ones who only run occasionally? It all starts by understanding their traits and behavior. Then, you can use Facebook's internal and external tools to build the exact marketing campaign you need.
What makes Runners unique?
You can observe at least some common characteristics shared among all types of runners - let’s take for example marathoners and casual runners. Looking at statistics we came to the following conclusion:
- First time runners usually start running as an exercise mainly to lose weight, or to enter a race later on.
- They are not necessarily morning people: it depends on the country
- They tend to care about their diet
- They push their limits further
That information should ultimately inform both your messaging and your targeting. Whether you're looking to sell gear or to increase attendance for your local running event.
How to build your Facebook campaign to target Runners
Looking at the previous points, we can already spot obvious targeting opportunities and more complex ones as well.
Starting with the demographics, we are safe with the 25-54-year-old demographic.Unless you have gender-specifics, you can target both females and males. Looking at the geographics, you can be a local gym and wouldn’t look for customers further than 10 mi / 15 km . For eShops selling running apparel, you can of course expand that area.
You need to target a specific audience that is also big enough. Using Facebook Ads Manager, you can see the potential reach immediately after having set up your targeting.
The possibilities don't end with demographic and interest-based targeting. Custom audiences can be a powerful tool for reaching running enthusiasts, whether you're retargeting ads of recent web visitors or trying to find email list lookalikes.
As with everything in this area, testing is key. You are unlikely to find the best results right from the start but you will improve based on testing and with better knowledge of your audience!
Efficiently target Runners & Joggers using Mobile App Targeting
At 42matters, we believe that installed apps give amazing insight to users’ interests especially as it is getting more and more difficult to target people with strong intent.
This is the reason why we created the Audience Finder. By taking advantage of our extensive app database, we help you create audiences based on apps people have on their mobile devices since these apps show what they are most interested in.
The benefits of using the Audience Finder for your Facebook Ads Audiences
- Reach mobile AND desktop users. Because Facebook users are mapped across devices and apps, you can reach them everywhere, even on Instagram and Messenger.
- Be as precise as one installed app. With millions of app in our database, no user is out of reach.
- Find and target a considerably stronger audience. It's not just about matching what a user reads online but what he has committed to install and use.
- Target customers of your competitors or of similar services.
- Combine traditional Facebook advertising with extra precision thanks to our tool.
The 3-step process to target Runners & Joggers with the Audience Finder
- First, define the apps your audience is most likely to have installed, such as running apps, cardio...
- Then, you are a click away from exporting your custom audience to your Facebook Ads account. A lookalike audience is also added in the process to broaden your reach.
- All that remains now is to create your campaign using the given audience!
Try the Audience Finder for free!
Combine Audience Finder audiences with Facebook Ads to reach your business goals at better costs. You can use the Audience Finder for free with our 14-day trial and find how it can power-up your marketing efforts!
Should you have question, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audience Finder can provide audiences with a higher granularity and stronger intent. Ideally, combining both Facebook Targeting and Audience Finder’s results will give you a more effective ad targeting strategy that will place your ads directly in front of the right people.