Gamers come in different shapes and sizes. With more than 2.3 billion gamers in the world, habits, tastes and personalities are various. From casuals to professionals, mobile to desktop players, the gaming industry comes with plenty of different types of gamers - depending on the segmentation we might want to use, we can talk about at least 5-10 big gamer types. The Entertainment Software Association Report also helping to break up different gaming audiences. In the United States
- 70% of gamers are older than 18 and on average are 34 years old
- 45% of U.S. gamers are female
- 67% of parents play with their children at least once a week
- 42% of gamers love to play with their friends (19% play with their family)
Keep a close eye on the statistics to be able to target the right audience.
The conventional way of targeting on Facebook
If you are having doubts of who is your target persona head over to Facebook Ads Audience Insights which gives you amazing statistics for free. Depending on your specific needs, the results change significantly.
With the above criteria, we already have 100M-150M reachable users in the US only.
Later on you can narrow down the filtering to match your product segment.
When putting the previously found numbers into action at building your audience in your Facebook Ads Manager make sure you choose the right age group and gender for the actual product or service you try to advertise as these figures are highly specific. Make sure you do not apply any location filters other than selecting the whole country of USA, as it is not relevant in case of mobile apps.
Add an interest filter of mobile games or video games - depending how much your actual product can be relevant to a broader gamer vertical and
You can go as specific as which games people play. Facebook classified people that are interested in Assassin’s Creed, Candy Crush, Tap Titans, Dark Soul, Final Fantasy and so many more. This also means you can actually target your competitor’s customers.
Exclude people who already know about your app, as you do not need to waste your ads therefor your money on them.
When it comes to structuring the campaign it is necessary to keep in mind the best practices:
- One campaign is for one goal only - you need to decide if you want more downloads, more reach or more reactions
- Each campaign needs at least 2 adsets
- Each adset is a specific audience so you can test them (18-24 / 25-34, Candy Crush fans / Clash Royal fans...)
- Each adset should have at least 2 ads so you can A/B test different titles, media, CTA to see what works best
Audience Insights show that mobile game enthusiast would mostly access Facebook from their mobile devices.
Placement customization therefore to 'mobile only' will increase your chances to get to the audience who is most interested in mobile game apps.
Target directly your ideal mobile gamer using mobile app targeting
At 42matters, we believe that installed apps give amazing insight to users’ interests especially as it is getting more and more difficult to target people with strong intent.
This is the reason why we created the Audience Finder. By taking advantage of our extensive app database, we help you create audiences based on apps people have on their mobile devices since these apps show what they are most interested in.
The benefits of using the Audience Finder for your Facebook Ads Audiences
- Find and target your ideal gaming audience e.g. users that play already similar games to the one you want to advertise.
- Target on a mobile app level. With millions of mobile games in our database, every taste can be targeted.
- Reach mobile AND desktop users. Because Facebook users are mapped across devices and apps, you can reach them everywhere, even on Instagram and Messenger.
- Target customers of your competitors or of similar services.
- Combine it with traditional Facebook advertising with extra precision thanks to our tool.
The 3-step process to target Gamers with the Audience Finder
- First, define the games your audience is most likely to have installed or game stores they buy games from, ...
- Then, you are just a click away from exporting your custom audience to your Facebook Ads account. A lookalike audience is also added in the process to broaden your reach.
- All that remains now is to create your campaign using the given audience!
Try the Audience Finder for free!
Combine Audience Finder audiences with Facebook Ads to reach your business goals at better costs. You can use the Audience Finder for free with our 14-day trial and find how it can power-up your marketing efforts!
Should you have questions, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audience Finder can provide audiences with a higher granularity and stronger intent. Ideally, combining both Facebook Targeting and Audience Finder’s results will give you a more effective ad targeting strategy that will place your ads directly in front of the right people.